Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Journal Entry – Tuesday March 15 – Crawling Squalls

Author: Scott

It is early morning (03:00) and I am on watch. Over the past two hours we have had a great light show as lightning flashed dramatically off in the distance. I know that sighted people can actually see lightning come down in lighted tendrils, but to me it just looks like flashes of light. As I would look at the radar I noticed that there were some really large targets and it looked like we had squalls in the area. The winds have been calming down as the squalls approach (down from 15 kts to about 8 kts). When I later checked the radar we were about to be engulfed in a large target that was slowly crawling across the display and as the squall approached the rain started falling. We have only seen rain in Mexico a few times with the last rain when we were anchored in z-town and we haven’t had any at sea since the start of the Baja in October. As the squall passed overhead it dumped heavy rain on the boat (and hopefully cleaned our main a little). When I wake Pam at the end of my watch, in about 45 minutes she will learn that she missed the crawling squalls and the light show.

No comments: