Sunday, February 04, 2007

Journal Entry – February 4, 2007 – Off and Fishing

Author: Pam

Getting out of bed and actually walking wasn’t as bad as I had envisioned this morning after the marathon uphill hike yesterday. My feet and ankles hurt so bad, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to walk three steps today. After breakfast the guys decided it would be a good morning to head out fishing. All four of them (Scott, Bill, Jeff and Roger) piled in two dinghies with fishing rods and bait and headed out for Scott’s first real dinghy fishing trip. He has been gathering information and input on Starship’s fishing gear for the past week, with anticipation of this trip and his chance to finally catch some fish. He is determined Starship will have a better score than Tournesol.

While they were gone I puttered around on the boat, tidying and cleaning. I was thinking about the comment a friend made about our prior journal entries and how I always seem to have something to say about cleaning and Scott’s entries usually include food. Well, I decided that probably won’t change, especially since Starship feels ten times bigger when it comes to cleaning her inside and out. Around 11:30 Jane called over the VHF radio and invited the ladies to shore for a post hike walk to stretch out those tired muscles. She came by in her dinghy and she and Yvonne and I headed to shore. Raewin passed, she had hurt her foot running across the boat when they arrived. We kept our walk to an hour and on the mostly flat surface of the road, a welcome sight after yesterday’s mountain goat trek.

When we returned from shore the guys were tied up to Starship, sitting in the dinghies and watching Bill and Roger intently as they cleaned their catch. Scott did catch a couple of snapper, but they were all under the limit, so he threw them back. No fish for Starship for lunch.

After lunch Scott was keen to head out again in our dinghy, he was sure there was at least one snapper in Port Fitzroy with his name on it. I agreed to go, but only as morale support. I could hardly stand the smell of the bait and I was not about to touch it, but I was supportive of any that would not be going back into the refrigerator. Off we went and anchored the dinghy beside the little island near where Starship is anchored. I spent my time keeping us off of the shore with the oars and watching Scott cut up bait in our brand new dinghy, that made me squirm worse than the idea of touching it. Scott spent his time feeding the fish, I am sure they thought they had died and gone to heaven as they stole all of his bait. He did catch four fish, he even caught two at one time, but again they were all under the limit. So, the first day of fishing leaves the score at Starship 0, Fish 1.

Tonight was Windsong’s last night and possibly Wings n Strings too, the weather is suppose to turn tomorrow, so they may leave a day early. The evening was spent on Wings n Strings learning how to play the domino games Mexican Train and Chicken Foot. It was lively and I dare say quite competitive. Jeff won the Mexican Train game, but there was much suspicion at the end when three dominos were found between the cushions next to him. It was a classic cruiser day and it ended with hanging out in the cockpit of Starship under a huge, bright full moon, life couldn’t be more perfect.

No comments: