Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Journal Entry - June 4, 2008 - Koumac Here We Come


Author: Pam

It is 0700 on Wednesday, June 4th and I just had the thrill of seeing 99 miles to Koumac on the GPS. Under a hundred is the home stretch and BOY are we ready for this one to come to an end. This passage has been the most difficult and challenging so far on this journey and I find it hard to believe I am saying that after the passage across the
Tasman Sea from NZ to Oz. We left Australia in a good weather window for a downwind sail straight to Koumac, but we have Mother Nature to thank for throwing an anti-cyclone in our path.

I have had moments this week of questioning what the hell I am doing out here. Today as the wind is calming, the sea is lying down, Starship is finally off the bucking bronco that she has been riding for the past week and the sun is out for the first time in days, some of the trials and tribulations of the past week are beginning to fade as they always do. And I can return my focus to why I am so committed to this amazing, sometimes terrifying, and incredibly challenging journey. I have had an innate need to test my edges my entire life and many of the opportunities to do so I created for myself. This adventure definitely tips the scale and even feels like the ultimate test some days. So far it has tested every edge I know I have and many new ones that surface all of the time. I think no matter who you are or what adversity you may or may not face there are no better life lessons and journeys than going outside your comfort zone or encouraging someone to do so if you are a parent, teacher or even an employer. I wasn't pushed as a child and in my younger years I sometimes took the easier, safer, more comfortable path. I wanted to be pushed and challenged, but that was outside of the comfort zone of my family and expertise of my teachers. As a teenager I could see that complacency was not going to be my ticket and I started sticking my big toe in and with baby steps I can honestly say that is how I got here on this boat, attempting to sail around the world testing my edges every day.

It is now 0100 on Thursday morning and I am on watch again as Koumac looms in the distance a mere 50 miles away. Scott is having a little extra sleep while we are still in open water, the navigation will soon be trickier as we approach land and at this time that is his department. We have sailed from 0830 to
midnight and it has been our nicest day on this passage. It was the kind of sailing that reminds you why you love sailing. The boat glided along on relatively flat seas and there was no persistent noises, just the quiet rustle of the sails every once in awhile. It was a lovely last day and a nice way to end this particular leg of the adventure. We are now motor sailing and hope to make landfall between 0900 and 1000.

We passed the day by doing the usual chores before making landfall, charging our headsets that we wear to communicate while navigating a port entry or exit, putting up the courtesy flags (we are flying the "Q" quarantine flag and the French flag), washing our hair and generally tidying up the boat (well this time only sort of). We made guacamole for lunch, and only had crackers, cheese and dip for dinner. Dinner prep and washing up the dishes was more than we seem to have the energy for. We are both tired and looking forward to a full night's sleep tonight.

New Caledonia marks the eighth country we will have visited so far. We are looking forward to making landfall, making new friends and getting Starship sea worthy again so we can carry on with our cruising plan for this season. They say cruising is fixing your boat in exotic places, we seem to be living proof of that statement.

No comments: