Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Journal Entry - July 23, 2008 – Dodger Disaster Sorted Out

Author: Scott

Ah! The stress is rolling off our backs as I write this entry. Today we came to a negotiated truce with the vendor who was originally hired to construct our new bimini/dodger.

On Monday while returning home from our visit to the association for the blind I asked Michel if he had any ideas regarding our rights for recourse regarding the breakdown in communication with the vendor we selected to complete our dodger/bimini. Michel was a Gendarmerie for most of the 1980’s in New Caledonia and I figured who better than a retired police officer could give us advice. Michel asked for the vendor’s contact information and told me that he would call and instruct him to come to the police station to make a statement and would then take me to the station the following day to make a statement as well.

The next day Michel turned up and together we went to the Noumea police station. It turned out that the translator was off duty and we were instructed to visit a different office, today. Michel picked me up at 13:45 and we drove over to the a police station near the adjacent bay and on the way Michel told me that he could not stay due to a prior commitment, but not to worry as he arranged a meeting with the translator.

The police station was a small single story blue and white building that blended in with the surrounding homes in this suburb of New Caledonia. We entered into a crowded waiting room that appeared to be teaming with people clearing up legal disputes and automobile altercations. The mood in the police station was surprisingly light and the staff was very friendly. Michel checked me in and we waited on plastic chairs for our turn with the translator. When the translator called our names, Michel explained that he had a prior commitment and asked if the translator could drive me home. Wow, not only was I in a police station but I might even get a ride in a squad car. Everything was arranged and Michel made his departure. Now I was alone!

The officer who served as the translator told me his name, and I promptly forgot it, I must have been a tad nervous! I found him to be kind but serious. I explained our side of the story and he read a statement that we had prepared. I also provided a letter received that morning from the vendor. The officer then explained that this was not a “criminal matter” and was a “civil matter” but he said the police would like to help resolve the dispute. He then phoned the vendor and without giving a reason, instructed the vendor to report immediately to the police station. The conversation lasted twenty seconds and the vendor was on his way. To pass the time while we waited, I pelted the officer with a million questions about being a police officer in New Caledonia. I learned that there are 500 police in New Caledonia and drinking and domestic violence are the biggest problems they face.

To the relief of the officer the vendor arrived in ten minutes saving him from further unrelenting nervous questions from me. The officer asked us each to tell our side of the story and then matter-of-factly asked each of us how the problem could be resolved. We each gave our story and after some heated discussion we both were able to come to the table with some compromises. In the end we shook hands. The officer gave the vendor a stern warning to finish the project on time and to do the work to the best of his ability, or the situation would become a matter for the police. Since we were now all getting along again I was given a ride back to the marina from the vendor, undermining my plans of riding in a Noumea police cruiser.

After nearly four years into this voyage we have never faced a conflict with a vendor of this magnitude. Although we had a written quotation, it was a solid reminder that we should also always insist on a detailed contract with firm completion dates. It was also refreshing to see that even amidst a conflict with no apparent solution, in a foreign country, people can step back, regroup, and come to a reasonable compromise. Big thanks to the Noumea police department for their keen negotiation skills.

No comments: