Monday, January 24, 2005

January 24, 2005 – Scott’s Gallbladder

Author: Pam

A side note to Scott’s account of his experience in the hospital. At San Javier Hospital if you are waiting for a patient in surgery you can wait in their room. It was a new experience for me to be in the room when Scott was wheeled in after surgery, both times. While I was waiting for him to come rolling in after his gallbladderectomy, Dr. Lujan (his surgeon) came in to let me know everything went fine and that if he was feeling well enough he could be discharged that evening. He then proceeded to show me a small jar and with a straight face and very seriously said “Scott’s Gallbladder.” Now what do you say to that, especially when it catches you completely off guard, you don’t speak Spanish and Dr. Lujan speaks very little English? My response was something like, “ewew” and knowing me I probably made a face. I was so taken aback I honestly didn’t get a good look, but as I sat there thinking about what just happened I thought for sure Scott must have asked him to put it in a jar for him (he had mentioned it several times), so I thought I would get another chance. After Dr. Lujan left the room I sat there by myself for ten minutes laughing almost in hysterics. I had to get a grip, I was sure someone would walk by and see this woman sitting by herself laughing with tears streaming down her face and think she had lost her mind completely. Well, as it turned out Scott had not asked for his gallbladder to be put in a jar and it did not materialize again. I am now not sure if Dr. Lujan’s intention was to give it to me, but since he got less than a positive response he changed his mind or if he was just sharing. It is making me want to giggle right now just recalling this very serious Dr. standing beside me presenting me with something I am not likely to ever see again in my life. Scott is very sad because he never got to see it.

No comments: