Monday, October 31, 2005

Journal Entry October 31, 2005 Halloween Across the Dateline

Author: Pam

It was another night with good wind and some crashing waves. Tournesol is working on perfecting the belly flop, but my tummy could certainly live without her continued competition status. During the day the seas calmed down under overcast skies. Though there wasn’t a lot of direct sun, it was still bright enough to be a decent power making day.

The day started with the usual SSB nets. During our first check in the net controller added Trick or Treat after calling each boat name. During the second net we check in on Sue on Pegasus reported her daughter Amy was all dressed up with no where to go. The Net Controller suggested she go up on the foredeck and look for a dolphin to scare. In the afternoon I had a hankering for some chocolate (mostly because I hated the canned spaghetti we had for lunch) and after rooting around discovered a box of truffles. Unfortunately my excitement was dashed when I discovered they had melted (probably a dozen times) and were now stuck in their individual slots. I decided not to be discouraged by the fact I could not pick one up daintily, so I tried the prying with a spoon technique to then discover with no big surprise, they had also taken on that unique “boat flavor.” I threw the box over as a Halloween treat for Nemo and his friends. No chocolate for me. Since we are a day ahead of the US, Halloween came a day early for us. So, if you are reading this on your October 31st, Happy Halloween!

Our boat project for the day was a brainstorming session and list making of all of the boat projects we need to do when we arrive in New Zealand. It was good to get it out of my brain, but a bit overwhelming. Cruising certainly takes its toll on your boat, especially the intense tropical sun. Tournesol is looking forward to a rest and some good old fashioned and well deserved TLC.

It probably won’t come as a big surprise the other project for the day was cabbage management. I hope everyone has a pound of salt handy when you are reading some of Scott’s accounts of life aboard Tournesol. However, in this case I have to admit the cabbage situation did get a bit out of control. The bottom line, they do not cohabitate well with onions. Hanging in their respective net bags they were barely kissing, but the onions cause rapid decomposition of anything they get near. So, the particularly ewey one got deep sixed immediately along with several of the offending onions. I couldn’t see how peeling off the outer leaves was going to get me anywhere. The second one wasn’t nearly as bad and peeling off the outer leaves revealed a perfectly good looking cabbage specimen, ok I announced we will have this one for dinner. Before dinner Scott asked if I was going to peel off more outer leaves just to be sure, that was my plan so off came the first leaf to reveal some black slime. Ok, this isn’t looking good. I took off several more, cut the beast in half and you guessed it, it went over for the sea life gang (I am sure the chocolates were a bigger hit). Well, once again being the optimist I had already started sautéing the onions and garlic I had planned to cook with the cabbage. Another Plan B, Scott suggested adding a can of green beans. Dinner turned out to be the best meal we have had in a couple of days, Canned Ham (with mustard of course), instant mashed potatoes (yuck) and green beans. I am determined to get this cabbage business worked out, it is up there with the baking goal I guess.

We stayed inside again all day, still too many waves and too much salt to sit out in the cockpit. Hopefully it will be sunny and calmer tomorrow, it would be nice to go to play. We are making good progress, as of 1600 we had 629 miles to go, almost half way there. Scott made me add our Five Crown match currently stands at Scott4 games, Pam -1, Ugh you can only imagine the size of his head.

No comments: